First underwater observation chamber

Last updated: September 20, 2017 at 1:46 am

The Calypso was the first ship equipped with an underwater observation chamber with 6 portholes where a person could view sea life from a depth of 3 m (10 ft) in 1950. The chamber was replaced by a larger but lighter design including 8 portholes in 1966.

SOURCE:
Verified by Diving Almanac & Book of Records official

Comments are moderated: (1) Stay on topic (2) Be respectful (3) Refrain from vulgarity and abusive language (4) Do not publish materials that violate copyright. OFFENDING COMMENTS WILL BE DELETED.