Two divers die in Johnson Sea Link mishap

Last updated: March 31, 2020 at 13:20 pm

[1973] Edwin Clayton Link, 31, and Albert Dennison Stover, 51, died from carbon dioxide poisoning after the submersible Johnson Sea Link was entangled for over 24 hours at a depth of 110 m (360 ft) on the USS Fred T. Berry artificial reef. After failed attempts by U.S. Navy divers and a Navy submersible, the Johnson Sea Link was freed by the commercial salvage vessel A.B. Wood II using an underwater television camera and grappling hook. The submersible pilot, Archibald “Jock” Menzies, and scientist Robert Meek survived. The designer of the submersible and father of Clayton Link, Edwin A. Link, subsequently designed an unmanned Cabled Observation and Rescue Device (CORD) that could free trapped submersibles.

Department of Transportation / Coast Guard Marine Casualty Report. United States Coast Guard. March 12, 1975.

Please note that comments are moderated: (1) Stay on topic (2) Be respectful (3) Refrain from vulgarity and abusive language (4) Do not make personal complaints about a person’s character, business, work or associations (5) Do not publish materials that violate copyright. OFFENDING COMMENTS WILL BE DELETED.
If you have claim to a diving or underwater record or first, if you know of a significant first or record not listed here, or if you can demonstrate that any of the information on this website is false or outdated, please complete the form on the record submission page.
In order to ensure your browsing experience is as enjoyable as possible, banners are kept to an absolute minimum, which means that advertising revenues alone cannot sustain this 100% FREE publication. Researching and updating the Diving Almanac requires a lot of time and dedication. If you believe the diving community needs a central body of information to record, validate and make available our shared history and accomplishments, please show your support by making a contribution to the Diving Almanac via PayPal (Porbeagle Press). Thank you!